Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Home made chicken soup

Wow! If I had known it was so easy I would have started making this ages ago.

1 3lb chicken (I used 2 packages of already chopped up chicken pieces; wings and bony bits, with skin)
4 carrots, halved
4 stalks of celery, halved
1 large onion, halved
water to cover
salt and pepper
1 tsp chicken boullion (if desired)

-put meat and veg in pot, cover with cold water and simmer till meat falls off the bones. (an hour or two) Skim foam off occasionally. (I didn't need to do this; mine didn't get foamy)
-strain the broth. Pull meat off the bones and chop up veggies. Return to pot, stir, and heat. Add salt and pepper. (I didn't add the boullion)

NOTES:
I chopped the carrots and celery and returned to the broth, but the onion was all mush so I just tossed it. It was pretty flavourful without adding more. Also, I read some of the reviews of this recipe and some said to add more fresh veg after the broth is made because it loses its flavor so after I strained the broth I did add another chopped carrot, 4 more celery, and a potato chopped pretty small. I think this was good because my first vegetables were pretty soft.

This started smelling SOO GOOD after about the first 15 minutes, I had no idea only four things (chicken, onion, celery, and carrots) could make something so amazing.

We also made our own noodles, which turned out OK.

1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour
splash of olive oil (optional)
2 tbsp water

Mix flour and salt. Make a well, add egg and olive oil and mix into firm dough. Add water if neccessary. Let rest 15 minutes. Roll flat and use knife to cut into noodle sized pieces. Toss into soup and cook until they get a bit puffy and float.

NOTES
I let the kids help me with this part, and it was OK. Gemma got a bit too much flour in it and they were a bit chewy, but still tasty. Was unsure of how big to cut them; I did about .5 cm wide strips, then stretched and ripped them about 1 inch long and 2 mm thick. With the kids they were all shapes and sizes but turned out pretty well. Once again, so simple!

Had supper, and froze a big bowl full.

Yummy!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I enjoy reading your blog.You have such a nice spirit-positive and gentle and happy. I also love to make soups.The smell in the house is so rewarding, isn't it?

Allison said...

If you want some extra-super-duper-Mennonite-yummy chicken noodle soup, try my Grandma's recipe. SO YUMMY!!! I can email you the recipe, if you want!

Archive