Saturday, February 04, 2006

Busy Week...

We've been running aruond all week with visiting...Everyone is so busy during the week to hang out, so then we try to fit it all in one week. Its been great hanging out with people but it has made the vacation go by too quickly. I've been hitting the books quite a bit, I've done about 2 1/2 inches of marking, with more to go. I hate being stressed before even starting school.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been using the dictionary a lot lately. I always tell my students look it up, the dictionary is your friend, and therefore have been trying to be a good example. I use it most when I think my kids are trying to make up words. I usually mark them wrong, and then feel guilty and think, what if it is a real word, and then look it up. Surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly, depending on how well you know me ;) the kids are right most of the time. For example, severally. I didn't know that was a word. I know several, but severally is actually a word, it means independantly. Others this week; shyer (I thought shy was irregular and you used more shy), and moveless. Anyway...english is hard! It's a tough tough language, and heck, I'm university educated, and still a terrible speller, writer, etc...

I love my job because I love to learn. I love my kids because they are so bright, way brighter than I am. I was trying to write the word assassain on the board a few months ago. And I started, and I stopped...and I erased and I started, then stopped again... I was standing there thinking, "How in the world can I write a-s-s onthe board twice! Is that right? CAN that be right?" One of my more helpful students assured me it was right, and they all giggled with me when I told them why I hesitated, and anyway...I'll get learned yet in the ways of English.

1 comment:

Kat said...

you're hilarious. shyer eh? Who woulda thunk it??

Archive