Sunday, March 15, 2009

Time Off

Taking the last few days off work has been the greatest thing. I really struggled with it, and it took a lot of talking to myself and and other people to convince myself that it was ok. Part of it is an integrity thing; am I really to unable to work? Can I really take sick days for this? Am I just succumbing to my own selfish laziness? Part of it is a pride thing; Can someone else really do my job? But anyway, after getting the go ahead from everyone, (my doctor too; I needed a note so he wrote me one), I have had the nicest week. Just to sleep in that extra 30-60 minutes in the morning, and have a nap in the afternoon. The slower pace of the day. The whole day to do my chores, instead of trying to cram them in after a full day of working. It's been really relaxing.

It is hard to think of things to do with Gemma, to be honest, though. Maybe because I am so pregnant and tired (there I go again; excuses excuses) but we try to go outside once or twice a day, eat somewhat healthy food, and do some housework, and play too. I am having a super hard time balancing my life this year (ha, I'm sure the second baby will help things, right:) and to be Gemma specific, I wonder how much time I need to be actively involved in playing with her. I feel like I need to be playing with her all the time; crafting or reading or animals or pirates or whatever. Of course this isn't realistic, or good for her; she needs to be able to play on her own. But I do have this guilt complex I am trying to work out. Is it because I work? Even working I still spend about 6 hours a day with her, not including when I set her up with breakfast if she wakes up before I leave and that I come home for lunch everyday. Just sort of as a random survey question, but how many hours a day do you spend directly engaged in play with your kids? How much time a day do they spend playing with themselves? How much time do they spend with others in a day?

I'm having some back issues yesterday and today. Not back labour, just plain old backache. At the time of this post my mother in law is about 4 hours from go time, so we are busy getting her room ready, etc. Oh, and after 79 weeks it has finally happened: Stretch marks!!! (I say 79, because I made it through 40 weeks of Gemma pregnancy with none.) Ahh, baby stop growing!!! Please! And just to point this out, I know all the arguments about genetics and stuff, but I used special lotion with Gemma and had none and did not use special lotion this time and now look! Anyway, I'm trying not to let my vanity get the better of me. This baby is already almost half a pound heavier than Gemma and I am sure grew more this week, so we'll see what the numbers are on Monday.

I forgot this funny line from my doctor last Monday. He gave us his cell phone number and said, "The highway between my house and the hospital is closed, so it takes me a long time to get there, so call as soon as you go into labour." Ok, it was funny to me... (Seriously though, my doctor is great and very well known/respected. I know I make him out to be a bit of a goof but he is very good at his job.)

2 comments:

Trina said...

When we were in Edmonton, I didn't spend very much time with my boys at all. I had to leave the house at about 7:00 to go to work, so we didn't spend any time together in the morning. Then by the time we got home from work it was almost 5:00, and I made supper and we ate it was 5:30. Then it was bath time, and story time so the boys could be in bed by 7:00, because they needed 12 hours of sleep a night (they still sleep that much to this day). So in all I spent about an hour and a half a day with my boys. Their babysitters spent a lot of time with them.
Personally I think you spending 6 hours a day with Gemma is amaizing Good for you!!

Allison said...

Hmm, it's so random for me. I do know that I worked really hard at teaching Jared to play by himself and it has paid off! Not that I don't spend time with him, but he has no issue playing on his own. And Ayda, being the second child, is so flexible just by the nature of her place in the family. Although I will say that she plays well alone only for short time periods. By alone I mean with no other kids around. She can play by herself with others around for a long time. We go out a lot - pretty much every morning that I don't work we have something - Bible Study, Mommy coffee, lunch with the cousins...so the kids get a lot of exposure to other kids and I think it's great for them. They learn so much by watching others and trying to sort situations out for themselves (of course, us Moms intervene when needed). And honestly, I hardly ever PLAY with Jared or Ayda. I'll read to them, do puzzles with them, craft with them (well, with Jared), etc., but not play. I asked my Mom one time if she ever really played with me, and she said she didn't - she just did the same things I currently do with my kids. So I feel okay about not playing - I turned out okay and I think that my Mom was the most amazing Mom ever. I just don't play well. We also do quite a few organized activities - Jared does gymnastics and swimming (as well as some weekly "classes" at our indoor playground) and Ayda does swimming. I love those types of things for them. And at this age, most activities are parent-involved. (Can't wait for that to be over! Swimming lesson days are TIRING when Ryan is at the house!)

Archive