Thursday, August 04, 2011

Save the World

In a noble attempt to save the world and our summer power bill, I have decided to try line drying my clothes. I made a 500NT investment of laundry clips, super big laundry clips for Chris' shorts, etc, and two hanging things with lots of clips (a total of 60). I put a stool out there so I can reach the bar that hangs across the roof of the balcony. And so it begins. So far it is easy. Just put the clean clothes on the dryer, stand on my stool and clip away. Chris likes his shirts hung up anyway, so this will be a time saver in that area. Shorts are a bit of a pain, but so far so good. I figured with 37 degree hear every day, and direct beaming sunshine on my deck each morning, how could I not take advantage of this freebie from nature? We'll see how long I can keep up with it :) So far in a week I've not used the dryer 4 times when I normally would have. So 4 hours of 220V? We'll see if it is even noticeable. It will such a disappointment to take this gallant effort if we can't see the difference, like my friend whose elevator was being replaced and had to walk up 5 flights of stairs or something everyday with her daughter for a month and she didn't lose any weight!!!!!! Seriously, is 'taking the stairs' a weight loss myth????????

Oh, except this is funny: I was out on the deck, doing the laundry thing, and when I was done I could not get back in!!!! Chris was gone, Guinness was napping, and I'm stuck on the 3rd floor balcony!! I don't know what happened, if I closed the door too forcefully and dropped the lock, or if Chris accidentally locked it out of habit after he poked his head out to say goodbye, but anyway I was stuck!!!

Praise the Lord, Guinness' window, which faces the back deck was unlocked. I have no idea why it was unlocked because I usually go through the whole house and lock them all before vacation so it should have been locked, but pheww it wasn't, and so I managed to get over the dryer and down into his room without even waking him up. How's that for Super Mom? So if you begin a save the earth campaign of line drying your clothes, be careful! The road to green-ness is filled with hidden dangers!!

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Good for you. I've heard it can save you 40% off your power bill. Abram locked me out on my back deck while I was doing laundry one day. Thankfully Jason was home. We're going to put a key out there. Glad you made it back in.

Archive